Hi lovelies- I know I have been MIA since I had my baby girl, Kensington, the end of December. Isn’t it crazy how time flies? I can’t believe its almost been 3 months (Wait, whhaaattt?!? How is she almost 3 months old?) So I wanted to post some of my absolute favorite pics from her newborn session. My heart seriously is going to explode over all this cuteness. It is the most amazing feeling seeing how much my son loves his sister, he is obsessed.
Kensington Monroe was born on Dec 22nd. Kensie is so beautiful- she has blonde hair, blue eyes, a button nose, the cutest kissable lips, and long fingers and toes ( like her daddy.) She is the sweetest baby girl and we are so in love.
Kensington, my love- I am so blessed that you picked me to be your mommy. I promise to always be the best mommy I can be. I will listen to you, protect you, respect you, encourage you, support you, teach you, inspire you, be your best friend and love you with all of my heart. These rules I vow to follow……..
Rules for Mothers of Daughters
1. Paint her nails. Then let her scratch it off and dirty them up. Teach her to care about her appearance, and then quickly remind her that livingand having fun is most important.
2. Let her put on your makeup, even if it means bright-red-smudged lips and streaked-blue eyes. Let her experiment in her attempts to be like you…then let her be herself.
3. Let her be wild. She may want to stay home and read books on the couch, or she may want to hop on the back of a motorcycle-gasp. She may be a homebody or a traveler. She may fall in love with the wrong boy, or meet mr. right at age 5. Try to remember that you were her age once. Everyone makes mistakes, let her make her own.
4. Be present. Be there for her at her Kindergarten performances, her dance recitals, her soccer games…her everyday-little-moments. When she looks through the crowds of people, she will be looking for your smile and pride. Show it to her as often as possible.
5. Encourage her to try on your shoes and play dress-up. If she would rather wear her brother’s superman cape with high heals, allow it. If she wants to wear a tutu or dinosaur costume to the grocery store, why stop her? She needs to decide who she is and be confident in her decision.
6. Teach her to be independent. Show her by example that woman can be strong. Find and follow your own passions. Search for outlets of expression and enjoyment for yourself- not just your husband or children. Define yourself by your own attributes, not by what others expect you to be. Know who you are as a person, and help your daughter find out who she is.
7. Pick flowers with her. Put them in her hair. There is nothing more beautiful than a girl and a flower.
8. Let her get messy. Get messy with her, no matter how much it makes you cringe inside. Splash in the puddles, throw snowballs, make mud pies, finger paint the walls: just let it happen. The most wonderful of memories are often the messy ones.
9. Give her good role models- you being one of them. Introduce her to successful woman- friends, co-workers, doctors, astronauts, or authors. Read to her about influential woman- Eleanor Roosevelt, Rosa Parks, Marie Curie. Read her the words of inspirational woman- Jane Austen, Sylvia Plath, Emily Dickinson. She should know that anything is possible.
10. Show her affection. Daughters will mimic the compassion of their mother. “I love yous” and Eskimo kisses go a long way.
11. Hold her hand. Whether she is 3 years-old in the parking lot or sixteen years old in the mall, hold on to her always- this will teach her to be confident in herself and proud of her family.
12. Believe in her. It is the moments that she does not believe in herself that she will need you to believe enough for both of you. Whether it is a spelling test in the first grade, a big game or recital, a first date, or the first day of college…remind her of the independent and capable woman you have taught her to be.
13. Tell her how beautiful she is. Whether it is her first day of Kindergarten, immediately after a soccer game where she is grass-stained and sweaty, or her wedding day. She needs your reminders. She needs your pride. She needs your reassurance. She is only human.
14. Love her father. Teach her to love a good man, like him. One who lets her be herself…she is after all wonderful.
15. Make forts with boxes and blankets. Help her to find magic in the ordinary, to imagine, to create and to believe in fairy tales. Someday she will make her 5 by 5 dorm-room her home with magic touches and inspiration. And she will fall in love with a boy and believe him to be Prince Charming.
16. Read to her. Read her Dr. Seuss and Eric Carle. But also remember the power of Sylvia Plath and Robert Frost. Show her the beauty of words on a page and let her see you enjoy them. Words can be simply written and simply spoken, yet can harvest so much meaning. Help her to find their meaning.
17. Teach her how to love- with passion and kisses. Love her passionately. Love her father passionately and her siblings passionately. Express your love. Show her how to love with no restraint. Let her get her heart broken and try again. Let her cry, and gush, giggle and scream. She will love like you love or hate like you hate. So, choose love for both you and her.
18. Encourage her to dance and sing. Dance and sing with her- even if it sounds or looks horrible. Let her wiggle to nursery rhymes. Let her dance on her daddy’s feet and spin in your arms. Then later, let her blast noise and headbang in her bedroom with her door shut if she wants. Or karaoke to Tom Petty in the living room if she would rather. Introduce her to the classics- like The Beatles- and listen to her latest favorite- like Taylor Swift. Share the magic of music together, it will bring you closer- or at least create a soundtrack to your life together.
19. Share secrets together. Communicate. Talk. Talk about anything. Let her tell you about boys, friends, school. Listen. Ask questions. Share dreams, hopes, concerns. She is not only your daughter, you are not only her mother. Be her friend too.
20. Teach her manners. Because sometimes you have to be her mother, not just her friend. The world is a happier place when made up of polite words and smiles.
21. Teach her when to stand-up and when to walk away. Whether she has classmates who tease her because of her glasses, or a boyfriend who tells her she is too fat – let her know she does not have to listen. Make sure she knows how to demand respect – she is worthy of it. It does not mean she has to fight back with fists or words, because sometimes you say more with silence. Also make sure she knows which battles are worth fighting. Remind her that some people can be mean and nasty because of jealousy, or other personal reasons. Help her to understand when to shut her mouth and walk-away. Teach her to be the better person.
22. Let her choose who she loves. Even when you see through the charming boy she thinks he is, let her love him without your disapproving words; she will anyway. When he breaks her heart, be there for her with words of support rather than I told-you-so. Let her mess up again and again until she finds the one. And when she finds the one, tell her.
23. Mother her. Being a mother – to her – is undoubtedly one of your greatest accomplishments. Share with her the joys of motherhood, so one day she will want to be a mother too. Remind her over and over again with words and kisses that no one will ever love her like you love her. No one can replace or replicate a mother’s love for their children.
24. Comfort her. Because sometimes you just need your mommy. When she is sick, rub her back, make her soup and cover her in blankets – no matter how old she is. Someday, if she is giving birth to her own child, push her hair out of her face, encourage her, and tell her how beautiful she is. These are the moments she will remember you for. And someday when her husband rubs her back in attempt to comfort her…she may just whisper, “I need my mommy.”
25. Be home. When she is sick with a cold or broken heart, she will come to you; welcome her. When she is engaged or pregnant, she will run to you to share her news; embrace her. When she is lost or confused, she will search for you; find her. When she needs advice on boys, schools, friends or an outfit; tell her. She is your daughter and will always need a safe harbor – where she can turn a key to see comforting eyes and a familiar smile; be home.
How perfect are the “Rules for Mothers of Daughters” ? I found them online and it brought tears to my eyes. I hope you all enjoy them as much as I do.
I cant believe my beautiful baby girl will be here in 4 weeks! If you are pregnant or just had a baby then you know that you need a lot of stuff. There are so many products on the market and if you are indecisive like me, well then that makes the process of choosing the perfect things for your little bundle of joy that much harder. I am always looking for the best of the best baby products and with each pregnancy have spent hours and hours for months researching, reading reviews, and asking moms for their opinions… Needless to say it can be pretty stressful. There were so many products I purchased with my first pregnancy that I absolutely loved and some that I wanted to toss out the window. New and improved products are always hitting the market so I am excited to be trying some new things for my little Princess. I compiled my favorite must have products from my first pregnancy along with products that I cant wait to try when my baby girl arrives.
* Make sure to click on the bold product name which will link you straight to the products website 🙂
Baby products I love:
- Honest Company Diapers and Wipes- Ultra absorbent, eco-friendly* diapers — made with naturally derived, plant-based & sustainable materials* — are extra soft, hypoallergenic, free of chlorine processing and additives (like fragrances, lotions, and latex). Oh, and did I mention how adorable they are?
- Medela Brest Pump- Looking for a 2-Phase Expression pump that could be covered by your insurance? You’ve found it. The Pump In Style Advanced Breastpump Starter Set is part of Medela’s patented 2-Phase Expression technology pump family. 2-Phase Expression technology is proven to get 18%* more milk when double pumping and fits perfectly into Medela’s breastpump bags.
- NoseFrida- The doctor-developed and doctor-recommended nasal aspirator is the new standard in keeping babies naturally snot free. Ingeniously simple Swedish design features a 15″ long tube that is placed against the nostril (not inside). Parents use their own suction to draw mucus out of their child’s nose. Fridababy Nosefrida Snotsucker Nasal Aspirator features disposable filters prevent any bacterial transfer. The Fridababy Nosefrida Snotsucker Nasal Aspirator is easy to clean, dishwasher safe, and BPA & Phthalate free. It is superior to the bulb aspirator, presents no risk or harm to internal nasal structures and is dramatically more efficacious.
- Summer Infant Co Sleeper- The Rest Assured Sleeper provides a cozy and comfortable environment for co-sleeping with baby. Designed to put your baby’s comfort and safety first, a sturdy metal frame prevents you from rolling over on top of your baby during sleep. Mesh sides promote air circulation to help prevent your baby from overheating and allow you to easily see your sleeping baby. Soothing melodies and sounds and 2-speed vibration calm baby and help encourage peaceful sleep. Summer Infant, an award winning industry leader in developing infant and toddler products offers families safe and innovative solutions that provide peace of mind.
- Sleep Sheep- The Cloud b Sleep Sheep is a toy designed to ease your little one into sleep featuring four soothing sound options, including a heartbeat, nature sounds and lullabies. The timer can be set to 23 or 45 minutes to help ensure peace and quiet as your child reaches deep sleep. A hook-and-loop fastener makes the Sleep Sheep simple to attach to your baby’s crib, and its cuddly design will make the sheep a favorite companion throughout the day as well. Regular and on the go modes help you customize the toy to suit your needs.
- 4Moms Infant Tub- The innovative 4moms Infant Tub keeps baby’s bath water clean and at the correct temperature. Designed to allow a constant flow of clean water to enter while dirty water drains out, the 4moms Infant Tub assures that baby is surrounded by fresh water at all times. Plus, the 4moms Infant Tub has a built-in digital thermometer that changes color if the water temperature goes above or below a safe, comfortable range. The 4moms Infant Tub fits most basin sinks and is for all ages.
- Aden+Anais Swaddles- With superior breathability, the aden + anais Classic Muslin Swaddles keep baby comfy and cozy. The lightweight cotton muslin fabric provides warmth without overheating. Plus, the soft yet durable design makes the aden + anais swaddles get softer with each wash and perfect for every day use.
- Boppy Lounger- Designed for preemies and newborns, the Boppy Newborn Lounger is the perfect spot for little ones to hang out, coo, and kick in comfort. This cozy lounger features a recessed interior that cradles your baby at a gentle angle and provides the comfort of a swing or bouncer without the hassle! Its lightweight design and carrying handle mean you can take it easily from room to room, and a wipe-clean cover makes cleaning up a breeze.
- Halo SleepSack- The Halo SleepSack Swaddle replaces loose blankets in the crib that can cover your baby’s face and interfere with breathing. In addition to helping your baby sleep safer, it helps him sleep better, too. Its adjustable swaddle wrap immobilizes your baby’s arms to prevent the “Moro” or startle reflex. And, it is the only 2-in-1 adjustable swaddle that allows for swaddling arms in or arms out for baby’s comfort and to ensure an easy and gentle transition to the SleepSack wearable blanket when it is time to stop swaddling. Used in hospital nurseries nationwide, the Halo SleepSack Swaddle is the #1 choice of hospital nurseries and recommended by safety organizations.
- Fisher-Price Rainforest Jumperoo- The Rainforest Jumperoo from Fisher-Price brings it all down to size for little explorers! There are so many sights and activities discover on this brightly colored jumperoo—music, lights and exciting sounds reward baby with every jump! Everywhere baby looks, (in the spinning seat, baby can see all around), there’s something fun to do. Busy toys, including a bobble elephant and swinging monkey captivate baby’s attention and keep him entertained. Folds for easy storage and take-along fun.
- BabyBjorn Bouncer- The BABYBJÖRN Bouncer Balance Soft is an extra soft, modern version of the classic BABYBJÖRN Bouncer (sold separately). Featuring a new rounded design and a double-folded, padded safety harness that babies love, the BABYBJÖRN bouncer creates a cozy nest for your little one. It also easily adjusts to three height positions (for play, rest and sleep) and folds flat for storage. Plus, it cradles your child while transforming the smallest movements into a soothing, rocking motion. Then, once your child begins to walk and sit down unassisted, the 2-in-1 bouncer quickly converts into a comfortable toddler seat. The BABYBJÖRN Bouncer Balance Soft is for newborns and up to approximately 2 years old or 29 lbs.
- BabyBjorn Carrier- The fully-adjustable, ergonomic BABYBJÖRN Baby Carrier Miracle allows you to comfortably and closely carry baby anywhere you go. By distributing baby’s weight on your shoulders, hips and waist, the BABYBJÖRN Baby Carrier Miracle can be used to carry baby forward or backwards and offers the support right where it’s needed. The BABYBJÖRN Baby Carrier Miracle is for newborns babies weighing up to 25 pounds.
Baby products I am excited to try:
- Halo Bassinest- The HALO Bassinest Swivel Sleeper rotates 360 degrees for the ultimate in convenience and safety. Allowing your little to sleep close to you while still in a separate sleep area, the Bassinest reduces the risks associated with bed-sharing. In addition, its unique design keeps your baby at eye level, allowing you to soothe him or her quickly. Featuring mesh walls for breathability and a side wall that lowers and returns automatically, the HALO bassinet allows you to tend to your baby while you are still in bed for superior convenience. The HALO Bassinest Swivel Sleeper is ideal for babies up to 5 months or 20 lbs., and it also comes with a soothing night-light, sounds, music, vibration and a nursing timer.
- Owlet Baby Monitor- Owlet is the only monitor to give you one less thing to worry about. It’s also the only monitor to use hospital technology called pulse oximetry. Owlet is designed to alert you if your baby stops breathing. We’re silently watching over your little one to give you peace of mind, and maybe even a full night’s sleep.
- Comotomo Bottle- The Comotomo Natural-Feel Baby Bottle is stylish and functional for convenient feedings. Featuring a BPA-free silicone body, the Comotomo Natural-Feel Baby Bottle includes one bottle with an anti-colic venting system and one medium-flow nipple; plus it replicates the skin-like softness you’re little one loves. With a heat-resistant material, the Comotomo Natural-Feel Baby Bottle is safe for dishwashers, microwaves and boiling water.
- Nuna Pipa- The safe, sleek and lightweight Nuna PIPA Infant Car Seat is a perfect choice for baby’s first car seat. Featuring the ultimate in both protection and style, it includes a 5-point safety harness, a base and side impact protection to keep your little one secure. Plus, this baby car seat comes with a revolutionary dream drape that provides extra protection in all kinds of weather. Both tough and soft, the outer shell of the Nuna car seat is made from exceptionally durable, premium plastic while the inside is made from soft, high-quality micro knits that are sure to keep baby comfortable in any temperature. The Nuna PIPA Infant Car Seat is for babies weighing 4 to 32 lbs. and up to 32″.
- Ubbi Diaper Pail- The eco-friendly Ubbi Diaper Pail is the stylish solution for getting rid of used diapers. Made of powder-coated steel, the durable Ubbi Diaper Pail keeps odors contained with its strong rubber seals and has childproof safety locks to prevent any unwanted messes. Plus, you can use your normal kitchen trash bags (sold separately) with the Ubbi Diaper Pail.
- Summer Infant Dual View Monitor- The Summer Infant Dual View Digital Color Video Monitor allows you to keep an eye on multiple children or multiple rooms with its 3.5” color handheld video monitor that features innovative split-screen technology. It’s possible to view up to 4 rooms at one time on the same screen no matter if it’s day or night with the Summer Infant Dual View Digital Color Video Monitor. The Summer Infant Dual View Digital Color Video Monitor allows for two-way communication and features privacy and security through 100% digital technology and can be used at a range of up to 600 feet.
Hope this helped all you beautiful mamas and mamas to be.